This is a phase II trial to evaluate the tolerability, efficacy, and immune outcomes of AGEN1884 plus AGEN2034 concurrent with cisplatin and gemcitabine in the neoadjuvant treatment of muscle-invasive, non-metastatic bladder cancer prior to radical cystectomy.
We will begin with an initial safety run-in to establish the safety of the combination prior
to expansion to the full planned phase II. The overall phase II will be an open-label, single
arm study in two stages to evaluate the efficacy of the combination in pathologic downstaging
of MIBC. Patients will receive four 21-day cycles of neoadjuvant therapy consisting of
cisplatin and gemcitabine plus AGEN2034 in all 4 cycles and AGEN1884 in cycles 1 and 3.
Patients will proceed to radical cystectomy within 10 weeks after the final dose of this
therapy. The primary endpoint of pathologic tumor downstaging will be assessed at the time of
|Overal Status||Start Date||Phase||Study Type|
|Recruiting||October 14, 2020||Phase 2||Interventional|
Primary Outcome 1 - Measure: Pathologic tumor downstaging of >T2 to pT0
Primary Outcome 1 - Time Frame: 22 Days
1. Diagnosis of muscle-invasive, non-metastatic urothelial carcinoma of the bladder,
cT2-4, N0-1, M0
2. Eligible to receive cisplatin-based chemotherapy, with eligibility defined as meeting
all of the following criteria:
1. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of ¬0-1
2. Creatinine clearance (CrCl) of >50 mL/min, as measured by 24-hour urine
collection or estimated by the CKD-EPI equation. Patients with CrCl between 50 -
60 mL/min are eligible for the study but will receive split dose cisplatin
3. Grade < 2 hearing loss
4. Grade < 2 peripheral neuropathy
5. New York Heart Association Class < III heart failure
3. Eligible to receive gemcitabine as dosed here
4. Patients must have organ and marrow function meeting the criteria below:
Absolute neutrophil count > 2,000/mcL Hemoglobin > 9.0 mg/mL Platelets > 100,000/mcL
Total bilirubin within normal limits or known to be elevated due to a benign
conjugation defect such as Gilbert's syndrome, as evidenced by normal conjugated
bilirubin level AST/ALT < 3X institutional normal limits Creatinine clearance (CrCl) >
50 mL/min/1.73m2, as measured with 24 hr urine collection or estimated by CKD-EPI,
whichever is greater
5. Signed, written informed consents to allow transfer of tumor tissue and production of
peptides and to receive experimental treatment and monitoring if agreeable, or
monitoring without experimental treatment otherwise
6. Age ≥18 years
7. Available fresh tissue from surgical excision. If fresh tissue is not available,
archival tissue may be used.
8. Female subjects of childbearing potential must have a negative serum pregnancy test at
screening (within 72 hours of first dose of study medication). Non-childbearing
potential (other than by medical reasons) is defined as 1 of the following:
1. ≥ 45 years of age and amenorrheic for >1 year by self-report.
2. Amenorrheic for >2 years without a hysterectomy and oophorectomy, and
follicle-stimulating hormone value in the postmenopausal range upon pretrial
3. Status post-hysterectomy, -oophorectomy, or -tubal ligation. If of childbearing
potential, female subjects must be willing to use adequate birth control during
the study, starting with the screening visit through 120 days after the last dose
of study therapy.
Male subjects with a female partner(s) of childbearing potential must agree to use a condom
throughout the trial, starting with the screening visit through 120 days after the last
dose of study therapy. Males with pregnant partners must agree to use a condom; no
additional method of contraception is required for the pregnant partner.
Note: Abstinence is acceptable for both female and male subjects if this is the subject's
established and preferred contraception method.
1. Subjects must not have previously received a checkpoint inhibitor ie, anti-PD-1,
anti-PD L1, or anti CTLA-4 antibody.
2. Subjects must not have previously received anticancer medications or investigational
drugs for the disease under study within the following windows:
a. ≤ 28 days for prior monoclonal antibody used for anticancer therapy, with the
exception of denosumab b. ≤ 7 days for immunosuppressive treatment for any reason,
with the following exceptions: i. Physiologic steroid replacement for adrenal
insufficiency (e.g., <10 mg prednisone per day) is permitted.
ii. Use of inhaled or topical corticosteroid for radiographic procedures is permitted.
c. Systemic corticosteroids < 7 days are not allowed except as defined above. d. ≤ 28
days before first dose of study drug for all other investigational study drugs or
3. Has persisting toxicity related to prior therapy of National Cancer Institute Common
Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events version 5.0 (NCI-CTCAE) Grade >1 severity.
Note: Sensory neuropathy or alopecia of Grade ≤2 is acceptable.
4. Has known severe hypersensitivity reactions to fully human monoclonal antibodies
(NCI-CTCAE Version 5.0 Grade ≥3), any history of anaphylaxis, or uncontrolled asthma.
5. Active or history of any autoimmune disease (subjects with diabetes type 1, vitiligo,
psoriasis, hypo- or hyperthyroid disease not requiring immunosuppressive treatment are
eligible). Patients with a history of inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's
disease and ulcerative colitis) and autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis,
systemic progressive sclerosis [scleroderma], Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or
autoimmune vasculitis [e.g., Wegener's Granulomatosis] are excluded from this study.
6. Any condition requiring systemic treatment with corticosteroids (>10mg daily
prednisone equivalents) or other immunosuppressive medications within 14 days prior to
first dose of study drug. Inhaled steroids and adrenal replacement steroids doses
>10mg daily prednisone equivalents are permitted in the absence of active autoimmune
7. Uncontrolled intercurrent illness, including but not limited to uncontrolled
infection, interstitial lung disease or active, non-infectious pneumonitis,
symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, uncontrolled cardiac
arrhythmia, or social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements
in the opinion of the treating investigator or medical monitor.
8. History of intolerance or allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar
chemical or biologic composition to AGEN1884 or AGEN2034.
9. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
10. Receipt of a live vaccine within 30 days prior to the first dose of study drug.
11. Inability to adhere to the protocol
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Healthy Volunteers: No